Thursday, April 21, 2011

Curry In a Hurry

If you haven't noticed, I've not had much time for cooking this week. Most of my posts lately have been about dining out because I've just been so busy.

When I know I have a crazy busy weeknight coming up, I tend to cook entire meals the night before. Around 10 p.m., I'll whip up an entire meal, portion it into containers to last for several days, and re-heat one serving the next day. That's what I did last night when I made (I mean, re-heated) this Tofu Saag with Red Quinoa and Whole Wheat Roti:

The Tofu Saag is from 30 Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. These guys really put together a fantastic volume of diverse, delicious, and super-quick meals. It's one of my favorite go-to books for fast weekday suppers.

This dish consisted of fast-baked tofu (only 15 minutes), spinach, peas, coconut milk, curry, and other spices. The authors suggested serving with quinoa rather than rice for a little twist.

The roti was a cheater item. I buy that stuff frozen at the Passage to India market in Cordova. I dipped this slice of roti into a spicy tomato chutney, also from the Indian market.

How do you handle meals on busy nights?

9 comments:

Alessandra said...

Really that quick? Looks good!

ciao
alessandra

Sara Maia said...

I'm a real lazy cook, so I wait til I'm bitten by the 'productive' bug & cook up several servings of a bunch of different meals & chuck them in the freezer. & boy am I glad I do that, cos there are so many nights where I'm hungry, but just can't be bothered to put any effort into the food I prepare.
Freezing batches is definitely the winning way for me! x

Dianne said...

I love 30 minute vegan. What could you need that takes any longer? I haven't tried the tofu saag yet, though. It looks delicious!

Kari said...

That looks great - 30 min Vegan is definitely on my cookbook wishlist.

I cook on Saturdays (my one day off from studying) and make meals that have at least 5 servings. Leftovers for the win!

Helen said...

Your curry sounds simple and yummy. I keep greens and cooked grains in the fridge, so I can throw together canned beans, greens and grains with a little soy sauce or tahini - that's my favorite. Then, there's always Chinese takeout, which we rely on a lot.

Leslie Richman said...

Yum! I do a big salad or defrost some frozen leftovers on busy nights. Of course, there's always a big mug of cereal :P

Alan Roettinger said...

Hmmm...red quinoa! ;-)

Happy Go Lucky Vegan (Jesse) said...

Red quinoa and curried tofu just sounds so good. I like the idea of handling the food preparations the night before. I may start doing that, because on busy nights I throw money at the problem and find myself eating Chipotle, Tofurky Pizza, or Chinese takeout - which always makes me feel lazy!

River said...

Your curry in a hurry looks so yummy in the tummy! I really do want that cookbook, sometimes I can't be bothered to stand in the kitchen cooking for an hour or two.

I hope you've been busy in an exciting way, not in a stressful way! :)