Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Baked Goods in the Mail!

There are few things more gratifying that receiving fresh, baked goods in the mail. I receive free vegan products to review all the time, and I appreciate every single thing. But when I received a package from Starry Lane Bakery, I knew I was in for something special. These aren't pre-packaged vegan goods. These are fresh-from-the-bakery vegan goods.

Starry Lane Bakery is located miles and miles and miles away from Memphis in sunny San Diego. But they ship anywhere! They're not a vegan bakery on purpose. They're an allergen-free bakery, but since eggs and dairy are among the top allergens, they don't use those. So their goods are vegan by default. Starry Lane also avoids gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, and soy.

Starry Lane was so generous with their samples. I received a massive box of cookies that I'm still working through after sharing some with co-workers. There was Chocolate Chip Cookie, Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin, and Oatmeal Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie:


Since they're gluten-free, the cookies were ever-so-slightly crumblier, which resulted in a few broken cookies. But most were intact, and the broken ones were still delicious. My favorite was the Oatmeal Triple Chocolate Chunk; chunks of Enjoy Life vegan chocolate mix with oats and gluten-free flours for a not-too-sweet-but-just-sweet-enough cookie treat. Plus, these giant cookies were only 110 calories each! Guilt-free!

The Chocolate Chip were a close second because I will always choose chocolate chips over raisins. But the Oatmeal Raisin were perfectly sophisticated and delicious.

But that's not all! Starry Lane also included a box of their macaroons. There's Vanilla Chocolate Chip, Dark Chocolate, and Sweet Orange:


Now, forget what I just said about always choosing chocolate first. I actually loved the Sweet Orange the best. It was a vanilla macaroon made with coconut milk, sugar, and shredded coconut and topped with a citrus-heavy frosting scented with orange peel. I'm a huge fan of citrus!

Next up were the Vanilla Chocolate Chip. It's like a cookie in macaroon form! And the Dark Chocolate were also delightful. Again, they're made with soy-free, vegan Enjoy Life Chocolate.

The most beautiful thing about these desserts? Anybody can eat them! Vegans, the gluten-free crowd, people allergic to soy or nuts, and people who just eat. All desserts should be so inclusive.

4 comments:

Adriana Robles said...

Ahh you're so lucky! I wish I received free vegan goodies in the mail. :(

They look super delicious! To be honest, when I saw the picture on my dashboard I just automatically clicked on the blog post link! Hahah.

Rachel from The Vegan Mishmash said...

Vegan cookies are delicious! Oatmeal Triple Chocolate Chunk would be my favorite flavor too. My favorite store bought brand of cookies is Liz Lovely.

Valerie Vegan said...

Mmmm those gluten-free cookies would go nicely with the organic chamomile tea I'm drink right now.

Southern Purple Veggie said...

Mmmm cookies in the mail are always so good especially when they are fresh.