Monday, November 16, 2015

Totally 80s!

As you probably have read on this blog a number of times over the past couple years, I'm slowly but surely working on my next cookbook, which will be a collection of veganized recipes by decade. It's been super-fun researching what people were eating way, way back in the day — during World War I, the Great Depression, the swingin' '60s.

But I actually remember the last two decades of the 20th century, and it's been neat to relive some childhood memories. Well, technically, I don't remember much about the cuisine of the '80s, since I was born in 1980. I was pretty young throughout the decade and can't recall the food trends (except maybe the junk food and candy trends). But through googling, I was reminded that crepes were all the rage in the 1980s. I can't remember my mom ever making them. Maybe she did. I do remember trying them somewhere in the early 90s.

Anyway, I knew I had to have a crepe recipe in my 1980s chapter! I'll probably do one savory and one dessert crepe in the book, but I started with the savory. Last night, I created these White Bean, Spinach & Mushroom Crepes with Kalamata Olives and Mozzarella. 



I veganized a simple crepe recipe, and it came out perfectly. Just the right texture and thickness (or should I say, thin-ness?), very buttery. The filling was sort of a little bit of this/a little bit of that. I started with a plan to make spinach-mushroom crepes. And then I thought I'd add beans for bulk and protein. And then I found some kalamata olives in the fridge and threw those in. The vegan cheese really sets it off, but it's totally optional.

On the side, I made this California Raisin-Carrot Salad!


I may not remember crepes, but I LOVED the California Raisins when I was a kid. What kid didn't? This is your basic raisin-carrot salad with vegan mayo. But I added walnuts for an extra crunch. I'm sure the California Raisins would be pleased.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I was a California Raisin for Halloween one year. I wore a big black Hefty trash bag and gigantic yellow sunglasses LOL