Tuesday, August 16, 2016

More Stuff I Ate!

More random meals I've been stuffing in my face lately. First, we should start with the MOST IMPORTANT THING I've eaten all year! Imagine Vegan Cafe occasionally runs specials, and they're usually crazy awesome (think vegan cheesesticks or collard-wrapped tamales). Well, last week they outdid themselves with these Macaroni & Cheese Puffs!


That's vegan mac stuffed inside puff pastry and baked until crisp. It's served with vegan ranch for dipping. Genius! Imagine's owner Kristie texted me on a Friday afternoon (two weeks ago) to say they'd be running the special all weekend, so of course, I went straight there after work for my order. I was the first customer to try it!

I like to make up for crazy meal splurges like that by having giant salads. Last Friday, I had this amazing salad bar meal and a Brew Dr. Kombucha at The Truck Patch in Jonesboro (my hometown in Arkansas). I was there for a friend's funeral (sad), but before the event, I met my mom for lunch at the local health food store, which happens to have the most awesome salad bar. This salad has baked tofu, homemade croutons, corn, cauliflower, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, Goddess dressing, and so much more.


This past Sunday, Paul and I had an 8-hour binge-athon of Stranger Things. We literally watched TV for 8 hours! It's that good! We did, however, order takeout from Crazy Noodle at one point. I got the Fried Tofu Salad with wasabi dressing.


And the Kimbap (Korean sushi) ordered vegan style with no beef.


Also last weekend, I met some friends at Shanghai Restaurant — an Asian fusion place in my neighborhood. I was planning to get some saucy deep-fried tofu dish, but at the last minute, I decided to eat appetizers for dinner. Steamed Tofu Spring Rolls and Steamed Veggie Dumplings.


Why would I eat such a healthy meal when I could have had fried tofu? Here's why! After the funeral, my mama sent me home with a Tupperware full of her homemade Vegan Peach Cobbler. I had to save room for dessert!


One day last week, my editor Susan and I went to LYFE Kitchen downtown for lunch. I got the Tofu Curry Bowl — good, solid curry with eggplant, peppers, peas, and wheatberries. LOVE wheatberries!


Yesterday morning, I had my new favorite post-workout protein smoothie — the S'mores Smoothie! This has chocolate protein powder (I used Nutiva), almond milk, cacao nibs, graham crumbs, and chopped-up Dandies that were small enough to fit through a straw.


Finally, Paul and I had dinner last night at the Bayou Bar & Grill because I had a gift card. It's a very meat-heavy Cajun joint, but their Portabella Po'Boy is among my favorite sandwiches in town, and they have a great selection of Abita. My po'boy is not on the menu, but I order the portabella burger on Gambino's po'boy bread with no cheese or mayo. They season the mushroom so well! It's all spicy and Cajun-y. Also, who doesn't love spicy fries?


8 comments:

Hillary said...

The salad from the health food store looks and sounds AMAZING! I love a big salad with lots of stuff in it! The Korean sushi looks amazing too, and the mac and cheese in puff pastry, it all looks so delicious!

Hillary said...

I forgot to say that I absolutely LOVED Stranger Things. It's so amazing, it almost forces you to binge watch!

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

Not to brag BUT I have a recipe for mac n' cheese puffs on my blog- and they're spectacular :) http://www.thatwasvegan.com/2012/02/15/mac-n-cheese-bites/

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Omg Mac n cheese puffs!!!! They sound epic!

Jennifer said...

Mac and Cheese puffs?! Ack I want! Which makes me sad because I am having an okra tomato curry... I feel like that's the total opposite? I love seeing these posts because it features all the food my pregnant ass is craving (but I am too lazy, and hot to make) XD How did eating healthy become the lazy option?

AngeAZ said...

I ❤ your posts because you remind me of all the ways to work around a meat-laden menu (like Bayou). The Crazy Noodle is my favorite place to have Korean in the area. It's just like eating in Seoul!

Susan said...

Mac and cheese puffs!!!
When I was in Seattle last year we found these frozen little vegan mac and cheese strudel puffs, and they were good but these fresh made ones would have been so much better!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Mac 'n Cheese puffs sound uh-mazing but it's super hot here so I wish I had some of those summer rolls.