Thursday, December 15, 2016

Reset & Restore in January!

If you've been following my blog (or Instagram) for any length of time, you probably know that I do a reset/healthy eating challenge every January. I've done Crazy Sexy Diet a few times, the Abundance Diet last year, the Thrive Forward challenge, and a few more.

Back in the day, I referred to these challenges as "cleanses" or "detoxes," but I've started to shy away from that since I don't actually believe I'm clearing out toxins or anything magical. It's more of a commitment to eating healthier, whole foods to start out the year, a way to reset my eating habits after the indulgence of the holiday season. And there is NOTHING wrong with indulgence either. It's what you're supposed to do during the holidays, and damn straight I'll be eating all of the cookies, cakes, pies, and casseroles over the next couple weeks. I'll also be drinking all of the wine, Christmas ale, and holiday cocktails that I can get hands on. But after January 1st, I'm sure I'll be ready for a good dose of vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, and other whole foods.

This is the image Lacy and Jessica are using to promo the reset. Looks delicious, right?!

And that's why, in January 2017, I'm embarking on Lacy Davis and Jessica Wilkins' Reset and Restore plan! Lacy is a badass, body positive fitness warrior who co-hosts the Rise & Resist podcast (my very favorite podcast!) and is getting ready to open her own queer-friendly, body posi, feminist lifting gym in Portland called Liberation Barbell. She used to run a blog called Super Strength Health, and though she's no longer updating it, you can still read old posts there. She talks a lot about overcoming eating disorders and staying strong in the face of a negative fitness culture that promotes dieting and weight loss over strength and healthy eating habits. Jessica of Mighty Steady Coaching is a competitive vegan powerlifter, as well as a health coach, nutritional counselor, and certified personal trainer.

Meet Lacy (and Albert!)


Lacy is a badass and can lift very heavy things!

The Reset and Restore plan isn't just a whole foods-based meal plan. It's a 3-week personal journey packed with intention-setting and meditation. There are (body-shaming-free!) workout videos by Lacy and Jessica of Mighty Steady Coaching and weekly guided meditations with yogi and Reiki practitioner Lauren Head. There's a private message board for those participating to connect and talk about how things are going. And yes, there is a meal plan and recipes! There is a cost — $150 — but you're getting a lot for that, and you're supporting badass vegan ladies who've put a lot of time and effort into making this happen.

Here's Jessica! She'll be leading Reset & Restore one-on-one coaching sessions!

Jessica is also a badass who lifts heavy things!!


Lacy took a few minutes to talk with me about the Reset and Restore. Here's what she has to say. I hope you'll join me in doing it this January!

VEGAN CRUNK: You're calling this a "reset" and not a "cleanse" or "detox." What's the difference, and why did you choose "reset"? 
LACY DAVIS: I hate the terms "detox" and "cleanse," because, honestly, they imply you have to eat perfectly to get rid of toxicity in the body. Real talk —we have biological processes that eliminate toxins in the body (woooo kidneys!), and juice cleanses just can't beat that. A reset is more of a moment to pause and consider your food and how it feels. I know we all get so busy during holiday times, and I think slowing down and paying attention to your body is a great idea. There's no point in restricting foods that feel good or calories in order to cleanse yourself though. That is simply coded talk for dieting, which I generally am not a fan of. 

Over the past year, you've gotten into intuitive eating. What does that mean to you, and how does that factor into the reset? Will people be encouraged to go off the meal plan if it feels right? 
The reset started as a vegan, gluten-free, processed food-free group class. I had the realization that that maybe this is the way *I* feel best eating, but for others, maybe not. I will continue to provide the meal plans for a few reasons: 1) People love them; 2) I do think part of finding out what feels good is experimentation and; 3) All the food I make tastes great, and I want to share it. But if people find the meal plans are out of alignment with what works best for them, that's totally fine! The point is to tap into your bio-individuality, meaning what works best for you. 

Besides meal plans/recipes, there are also meditations and workouts. What format will that take? 
Workouts will be videos, and the meditations will be audio recordings. 

And the plan offers support too! Will there be a secret Facebook group (or some other type of social media group)? How does the one-on-one coaching session work? 
There is a secret Facebook group, and nutrition consultation sessions are optional and to be scheduled during the three weeks with my fellow program facilitator, Jessica of Mighty Steady Coaching. 

Are the meal plans sent weekly in advance to plan for shopping time? 
All the meal plans will be sent before Day One so people can prepare! 

I know you're really into lifting. Will the workouts be lifting workouts, and if so, are they beginner-friendly? 
The workouts are home strength programs that mostly use body weight. You can go at your own pace, so yes, super beginner-friendly.

Alright y'all! I hope you'll join me. You know I'll be posting daily updates during the reset when that time begins. Until then, cheers! And pass me the cookies.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so funny, I was wondering which plan you were going to use in January! This sounds amazing and I think you are right about focusing more on healthier eating a habits as opposed to detoxing or cleansing. I'm so excited to read about your journey!

Hillary said...

I always love reading your January healthy eating journeys! I have come to loathe the words detox and cleanse because at this point they've been so overused and abused. I can't wait to read all about this years reset, and of course all the holiday things!

...barbara... said...

Just found your blog and I am excited to follow along. I am definitely going to look more into the reset and restore for myself. Thank you.

girlrunner said...

I joined!